Thursday, August 27, 2026

I love photographing God's creations...

 …and one of my favourite subjects of God’s creation is my sweetheart, Marie. I have many dozens of photos of her. As I scroll through the several file folders of her, I am repeatedly reminded how blessed I am to have had her as my wife and best friend. I so loved being with her, doing things for her and with her. Whether it was working in the garden or house, deciding things to do around home, or going on local outings such as shopping or exploring natural areas, she was always such a joy to be with. Also, we went on numerous trips traveling across Canada and the US for several weeks at a time, sometimes camping along the way. This first photo is at Great Sand Dunes NP, back in about 1982.

 She seemed to quite enjoy it as much as I did, so those trips were definitely highlights over the years, especially as neither of us had any interest in such things like Disney World, Orlando, etc. Those things, at least to us, were just an expensive waste of time, energy and money when instead we could be traveling and exploring God’s creations. We visited over 70 US National Parks, plus various wildlife/management areas, sometimes just for a short time, but still worthwhile. And there were many similar places in Canada. She was just so wonderful to be with, there was just never enough time to take it all in and appreciate her, and those almost 48 years of marriage went too fast. I am so glad that she put up with my photographing her, and sometimes quite enjoyed it. This next photo is much more recent, in 2017, at a local hiking spot. Occasionally when I pointed the camera at her, she even liked to put on a bit of a show.

Another time at Great Sand Dunes NP, she even pretended she was an exhausted traveler.
 

Resting on a bench at Rondeau

At Mesa Verde NP, with Tim

Overlooking Nelson, BC, with my sister Patricia

Marie and Patricia hiking in the mountains

Enjoying a lush patch of Wild Lupines

Hiking with Kristin near North Bay

Hiking a trail at Konza Prairie
Next is exploring the Tulip Tree Trail at Rondeau, with a young Tim.

About 1978
Next is spring of 1977, on one of our first outings away from home after being married, visiting friends in the Pembroke area.

Hiking at Zion NP

Photographing at Eau Claire falls

Making friends with a local prairie dog, in Badlands NP

This next one is one of my favourites, along Tulip Tree Trail at Rondeau. Initially she was just standing in the opening between two of the three Tulip Trees and looking up, but then gave me a sweet/mischievous look and gave the tree a hug! So glad I got that one....I have a canvas print of it!
 

And now that she is gone from her earthly life, I don’t have such a wonderful companion to do things with or for. Life is quite lonely, no question. As expected, my emotions are all over the place numerous times a day, depending on reminders of Marie that I see around the house or garden, or just sitting outside in the evening with a mug of tea, which we both enjoyed. We watched the butterflies flitting around the garden or the sun setting with fireflies ‘winking’ at us, or just chatting about things.

I thank God numerous times a day for creating the two of us in the same time frame and bringing us together. He knew exactly what we would be facing over the years. He rescued her from all of the unfortunate events of her early childhood that she was struggling with, and He knew that I would be dealing with them as well, but in a different sort of way as the spouse of a victim of child abuse. However it is what it is, the way that evil in the world works, as it states in 1 John 5:19, that "the world as we know it is run by the evil one". You can see evil at work in so many ways everywhere! Fortunately both Marie and I gave our lives to Jesus in our youth, so I know that she is even more perfect and beautiful in the heavenly realm. It is so inspiring to read many experiences of people who have had a Near Death Experience, providing such a fabulous description of what the heavenly realm is like. We aren’t just going to be sitting on clouds playing a harp! I know there are some descriptions in the Bible especially in Revelation, but I consider them a ‘black-and-white’ version; at least comparing that to numerous incredible descriptions by NDErs, it pales in comparison to the exceptional colourful beauty of the heavenly setting where everything is perfect, beyond the human language to even express the beauty, as well as the love, joy, music, laughter and fun, etc., that God intends us to experience. After all He created such things, so it is something to anticipate in His perfect realm where His love predominates! Hallelujah!!


 

If you would like to subscribe to Life Is A Journey, send me an email at: prairietramper@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love photographing God's creations...

  …and one of my favourite subjects of God’s creation is my sweetheart, Marie. I have many dozens of photos of her. As I scroll through the ...